The Baltic Alliance for Asian Studies is a co-operative framework of institutions (academic institutes, departments, and programmes) in the Baltic countries (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) specializing in Asian studies.
The founding institutions of the Alliance are
- Department of Asian Studies, Tallinn University (Tallinna Ülikooli Eesti Humanitaarinstituudi Aasia uuringute osakond);
- Department for Asian Studies, University of Latvia (Latvijas Universitates Azijas studiju nodaļa);
- Centre for Oriental Studies, University of Tartu (Tartu Ülikooli orientalistikakeskus);
- Centre of Oriental Studies, Vilnius University (Vilniaus universiteto Orientalistikos centras);
- Centre for Asian Studies, Vytautas Magnus University (Vytauto Didžiojo universiteto Azijos studijų centras).
The Alliance implies the establishment of a coordinated framework for joint planning and for pooling resources in conducting various joint projects. Its purposes comprise fostering interaction between scholars and students active in Asian studies in the Baltic countries; enhancement of high-quality co-operative research; building up a regional competitive research infrastructure in Asian studies; and stimulating international visibility of Asian studies in the Baltic countries.
The activities of the Alliance comprise support for research, networks and education; provision of expert information, resources and services; scientific publishing; acquisition of research funding; dissemination of research; academic exchange and networks.